Serving Britain’s shoppers brings a festive boost for Dundee
23 Nov 2018
Tesco has created 200 new jobs at its Customer Engagement Centre in Dundee.
Tesco has today announced a significant investment in Dundee, creating 200 new jobs. The Customer Engagement Centre has undergone a major transformation following a multi-million pound investment. In a further boost, 200 colleagues at the centre have been moved from temporary agency contracts and given full time Tesco roles, taking the total headcount to 1,500.
Additionally, through its stores, Tesco already employs over 1,300 colleagues across Dundee and Tayside.
Officially opening the new Centre, Jason Tarry, Tesco UK and ROI CEO said:
“Our Dundee Customer Engagement Centre colleagues do a fantastic job helping customers right across the UK. As we prepare for Christmas, we are committed to serving shoppers a little better every day and Dundee is right at the heart of this.
“From our stores to our local food and drink suppliers, Tesco is already a major player in Tayside. I am really pleased to be able to continue that investment today, building on our commitment to offering colleagues a career, a great place to work and an opportunity to get on at Tesco.
“We’re making a positive contribution in Dundee through our community work too. Our Bags of Help scheme gave £78k to local groups last year, where the money raised by the sale of carrier bags is being used to fund local projects that have been nominated by Tesco colleagues and customers.”
Kate Forbes MSP, Scottish Government Minister for Public Finance and Digital Economy joined Jason Tarry at the official re-opening. Kate Forbes said:
“Scotland's economy needs a vibrant and successful retail sector and this investment in Dundee is very welcome news.
“Tesco is a significant employer in Scotland and I am delighted they have chosen Dundee for their UK Customer Engagement Centre.”
Tesco CEC colleagues will have conversations with nine million Tesco customers this year. These conversations can be over the phone, on email or via social media. Customers contact the Dundee CEC for lots of reasons, commonly these include Grocery Home Shopping, Clubcard, or questions about stores or products. The team in the CEC also handle all contact on behalf of the Tesco Executive Board.
Tesco’s investment in the redeveloped centre will include new lighting, air conditioning, desks and chairs and a significant enhancement to catering facilities. In the new year, colleagues will be able to use a brand new gym on site too.
Notes to Editors
Dundee Customer Engagement Centre
- We have 1,500 colleagues working in our Dundee Customer Engagement Centre (CEC). This is our UK customer service hub.
- We have recently recruited 200 new colleagues, all of whom were originally temporary
- Additionally, we recruited 300 agency colleagues to support in the run up to Christmas
- Across Scotland our stores have taken on an extra 1000 colleagues for Christmas
- Our stores locally contribute £55.17m to the local economy (KPMG analysis), supporting 1,366 colleagues. We pay £3.43m in business rates
- 49.7k meals donated through Community Food Connection
- £78k given to community groups in Dundee through Bags of Help
- Our 256 stores contribution to Scotland
- £2.094bn contribution to the Scottish economy, supporting 42.7k jobs
- £58.02m in business rates
- 1.08m meals donated through Community Food Connection
- £2.15m given to local communities through Bags of Help
For more information on Tesco’s contribution to Dundee and Scotland: www.tescoplc.com/valueinyourtown
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on 01707 918 701
We are a team of over 440,000 colleagues dedicated to serving customers a little better every day.